Vol. 2 - No. 10-----July 12, 1945-----Editor: Roz Richards
Subscription Price:----- A Letter A Drizzle



Back from the European battle fronts where he participated in some of the toughest and bloodiest campaigns on that war-shattered continent, S/Sgt. Robert E. (Bob) Blumer, variously known as the Idol of Iceland, the Bard of Northern Ireland, and the Sage of the Siegfried Line, has lost no time in laying aside his battle togs and donning civvies. With 114 points to his credit, "Bob" is the first Monticello veteran to be released from the service under the army point system.

Inducted into the service Nov. 6, 1941, "Bob", whose rich humor and crisp observations have been an outstanding feature of the Drizzle since its inauguration two years ago this month, had never been home on a furlough in his 44 months of service which took him into 12 different countries-Nova Scotia, Iceland, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany, Austria, and Czechoslovakia. He was in Iceland over 18 months, spent nine months in Ireland, and three months in England.

"The Sage" landed in France with his outfit-Co. F, 11th Inf., 5th Div., belonging to Gen. George S. Patton's famous 3rd Army-on July 9, 1944. Then he began a veritable nightmare of hell and horror which saw "Bob" participating in the battles of Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, the Rhineland, and Central Europe. During the progress of the fighting, he rose from the rank of private to staff sergeant.

Twice wounded in action, "Bob" was awarded the Purple Heart and Oak Leaf Cluster in recognition of these injuries. He also received the Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Service Ribbon, and Silver Star, the latter symbolic of his five battle campaigns.

"The Sage" first fell victim of enemy fire in the furious battle of the Moselle Valley. "Bob's" outfit reached the west bank of the Moselle river Sept. 8 while other advance units of the 5th Division were making desperate efforts to offset a crossing in assault boats. The Nazis were pouring in a murderous barrage of mortar, artillery, and machine gun fire. Yank light and heavy guns were pounding enemy lines even more savagely. The entire countryside for miles around shook under the impact. It was hell on earth-a thundering and flaming Hades of agony and death. Men were falling on every side. "Bob" had been in the battle only 15 minutes when he was struck in the right chest by shrapnel. Evacuated by truck, he narrowly escaped further injury or possible death when a Nazi sniper opened fire on the vehicle from a hidden spot as it moved slowly along a muddy road winding through a timber. After 68 hours of continuous and terrific fighting, the Yanks succeeded in securing their bridgehead across the Moselle. Casualties were extremely heavy.

After 30 days in an army hospital in France, "Bob" was sent back to his outfit. The coming months were to be months of extreme hardships, of long and sleepless nights in foxholes out in the bitter cold and snow, of bursting bombs and exploding shells. Losses in Bob's squad through death or wounds occurred frequently. On two or three occasions enemy fire reduced its personnel to only two men besides himself.

"Bob" had many close calls during these months, and then on the cold, bleak day of Jan. 22, 1945, he was wounded a second time. This was at Lipperscheid in Luxemburg. The roar of battle was terrific, the air reverberating with the deadly pyrotechnics of modern warfare. The staff sergeant and his men were charging down a hill, attacking enemy lines 600 yards away. Suddenly "Bob" fell to the ground, his left thigh throbbing with pain. He had been struck by a piece of mortar shrapnel. He tried to rise, but found it impossible to continue. The pain was almost unbearable. It was bitter cold and the ground was covered with snow. "Bob" began to crawl back to an aid station behind the lines on his stomach. Even had be been able to use his left leg, he would not have dared to raise on his hands and knees because then he would have been a perfect target for enemy snipers. The road was under constant fire from German heavy guns. Shells were exploding all around him. It seemed as though his time might be "up" at any second. A piece of flying shrapnel nicked "Bob" in the left knee, slowing his progress even more. Sweating despite the bitter cold, he finally reached safety, however.

"We called that hill at Lipperscheid "Purple Heart Hill," explains Bob, "Because every member of my squad was wounded there that day."

After recovering from his wounds, "Bob" was sent back into action a third time. Again and again he flirted with death. Once he left his foxhole to go to a nearby aid station, returning in a few minutes to find it had been blown to bits by a direct hit from Ratzi artillery fire. There was also the time when enemy shells were landing around "Bob" with uncomfortable regularity. "You'd better come over here with me, buddy," a newsreel cameraman, up front to film this particular attack, yelled to the Monticelloan from the security of a knoll he was nestled behind, "It's safer." Bob chose to remain and sweat it out, however just a few minutes later, a German shell landed on the knoll, blasting the cameraman to his death.

Now came the bloody, stubborn battle for Metz, which had been heavily fortified by the Ratzis, followed by the assault against the Siegfried Line, and then the perilous street-by-street, house-to-house fighting in Germany where death seemed to be lurking around every corner. "Bob's" outfit swept clear across Germany with the rest of Patton's famous 3rd Army, ending its triumphant march in western Czechoslovakia.

"Bob," who lost 40 pounds during his army career, left his company at Nachschuflling, Germany, on the night of May 30, finally arriving in Boston June 26 aboard the U.S.S. Gen. Richardson. From there he entrained for Fort Sheridan, Ill., where he received his honorable discharge July 2. "Bob" pulled into the old home town the next evening, just as happy to get back to Monticello as his many friends were to see him again after his long absence.


S/Sgt. Carl Stauffer, stationed for the past 10 months at Lowry Field, Denver, Colo., where he was a flight instructor, is now taking a 6 -weeks' course in advanced navigation at Maxwell Field, Montgomery, Ala. Following completion of these studies, Carl expects to be assigned to the B-29 school at Hondo, Texas, where he was stationed for many months before his transfer to Lowry. . . Lt. "Whitey" Hill, the ol' "Spoofer from Sparta," is now enrolled in the University of Wisconsin summer school at Madison, taking courses in preparation for a degree in chemical engineering. . . Sgt. Emil Weigert, writing from Bavaria, says he expected to be back in the states by this time, but he was transferred from the 4th to the 99th division so his prospects of returning home are pretty indefinite now. Emil reports that the Bavarian girls are "not hard to look at." . . Lt. "Ott" Blum has been assigned to flight surgeon duty at Naval Air Station, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. His last service overseas was in the Philippines. He flew back to the states from Luzon, arriving in Miami May 6th. Lt. "Harv" Trumpy, former political potentate of Jimtown, Monticello's "excloosesive" suburb, has been transferred from Las Vegas, Nev., to Long Beach, Calif., where he is connected with the 556th AAFBU of the 6th Ferrying Group. . . The Drizzler is in receipt of letters from those two little "Rays of Sunshine" of Ft. Lewis, Wash.-Cpl. Ray Zumkehr and Pvt. Ray Schultz. The corporal is pretty much of a veteran of this picturesque army camp of the northwest, while his esteemed cohort is a relatively recent arrival. "Zum" is now driving for regimental headquarters, piloting everything from jeeps to five-ton trucks. "Schultzie" expects to be assigned to a medical or an engineering unit. . . Sgt. Jim Knoblauch, who was recently stationed temporarily at Fort Lewis after leaving Camp Shelby, Miss., has now arrived in Honolulu and it may be that he has moved on from there into the Far Pacific by this time. . . A/S Royal Voegeli, enrolled in the naval training program at Gustavus Adolphus college, St. Peter, Minn., since March of '44, is now attending the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis as a member of the Naval Reserve Officers' Training Corps. . . Pfc. Armin Loeffel, Co. B, 1267 Eng. Bn., writes briefly from Germany to say that he is fine and to say "hello" to all of the old gang. . . At the time Cpl. P. F. Blumer dropped us a few lines from Bangalore, India, he was beginning to get an idea of what the monsoon rains are like. For a few days, it was really lettin' down the moisture in bucketfuls, according to P. F. . . Lt. "Wilce" Milbrandt is now officer-in-charge of his Seabee unit in the Hawaiian islands, a position which has added to his already heavy load of responsibilities. He is still supervising the construction of roads and buildings, spending most of his time "in the field" every day. . . Capt. Norman Steussy, who spent 28 months in the Mediterranean theatre of war-a large portion of which was served in Italy-was in Monticello recently an a visit to his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Babler. July 1st marked his fifth year in the army. Norman reports July 22nd at Miami Beach for reclassification and reassignment. . . Pvt. "Hal" Schulz is still stationed in Austria. He was among the late troop arrivals in Europe, having landed at Le Havre, France, March 28, just in time for the final weeks of action against Germany. "Hal" speaks of the beautiful snow-crowned mountains surrounding the valley in which their army camp is situated. . . Sgt. Clarence (Bab) Babler, honorably discharged from the army late in May, resumed his former position as pharmacist in a Richland Center drug store Monday. He saw nearly three years of army service, about 20 months of which were spent in Alaska. "Bab" was stationed at Kelley Field, Texas, at the time of his release. . . Aviation Cadet Roger Klassy, home on convalescent leave since June 26, reported back to the Naval Pre-Flight School at Iowa City July 11. He is recovering from a siege of rheumatic fever. . . It now develops that Pfc. Don Pearson was not a member of "the Lost Battalion" on Okinawa. His name apparently was included through error by a war correspondent in a news dispatch from that battle sector. . . Capt. "Hoppe" Babler, the ol' "King o' the Kue," is now in charge of the transport office at Langley Field, near Hampton, Va. He and Pvt. "Dunk" Knobel, the Camp Lee (Va.) philosopher, recently got together for a pow-wow and I understand the "hot air" currents in the Virginia sector increased sharply as a result.


T/Sgt Kenny Holcomb, army air corps radio operator now stationed at New Castle air base near Wilmington, Dela., recently returned from his third flight across the Atlantic to Paris in huge transport planes bringing wounded war veterans and other army personnel back to the states.

These round-trip flights to the French capital usually require from six to eight days, although Kenny and his fellow crew members negotiated the last one in five days. Usually they change transports enroute at an air base this side of the Atlantic, but this time they flew the same plane all the way to Paris, stopping at Newfoundland for 2 1/2 hours to take on some gasoline and landing at their destination just 20 hours after leaving Wilmington.

"We had an interesting experience on this flight," says Kenny. "The sun set behind us and we were still over the Atlantic when it rose in front of us. We had only five hours of darkness."

On the first two flights to Paris, Kenny's crew brought back seriously wounded war veterans. Some of these heroes had suffered heavily in battle, having lost their eyesight or both arms or legs. Now, however, the crew is flying back mostly infantry personnel to the states. Incidentally, when Kenny's transport landed at the Paris airport on his maiden trip, Gen. George S. Patton was there, about to take off by plane for London.


Cpl. George Wittwer, veteran of 35 months' service in the Pacific area, has accepted a position as repairman with a Madison typewriter agency. He was recently given his honorable discharge after having been stationed for a few weeks at Camp Ellis, Ill., following his return to the states. . . Pfc. Eddie Zweifel, with the 30th Division, has been awarded the bronze star medal for heroism in capturing nine Nazi soldiers single-handed Feb. 24, 1945, a feat which was related in the April Drizzle. . . Sgt. "Al" Baehler, who has been hospitalized because of illness in both South Carolina and Texas following his return from Italy, is now enjoying a furlough in his home city of Rapid City, S. D. "Al" graduated from M.H.S. along about 1926. He reports back to Texas for further hospitalization at the end of his furlough. . . Capt. Paul E. Voegeli, stationed in England since December of '42, recently flew by air transport to Paris, Naples, and Rome on official business. Connected with the European Wing of the Air Transport Command, P. E. took advantage of the opportunity to visit many places of historical interest. . . Frederick Voegeli, HA 1/c, has arrived in the Admiralty islands where he is affiliated with the same naval hospital which has Dr. L. G. Kindschi of Monroe on its staff. . . WAC Gertrude Hoesly has returned to her duties at Percy Jones Hospital, Battle Creek, Mich., after a furlough spent here and in Madison. She was recently transferred to Percy Jones from Camp Atterbury, Ind. . . Lt. Howie Steinmann, whose thrilling report on the Iwo Jima campaign appeared in the May Drizzle, expects to arrive home on leave soon. He has been receiving treatment at the naval hospital, Corpus Christi, Texas. He was transferred there from a naval hospital near San Francisco where he was a patient for a short time after arriving there from the Hawaiian islands. . . Forrest Babler, GM 3/c, reported at Boston July 10th for reassignment after a 34-day leave at home which he was granted after completing 20 months of duty at sea. He served aboard the U.S.S. Vance, a destroyer escort, making nine trips across the Atlantic to North African and Italian ports. He expects assignment to shore duty. . . Drew Pearson, famous Washington newspaper columnist and radio commentator, recently predicted that Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal would soon visit Far Pacific battle fronts so it may be that Lt. Wallie Barlow, co-pilot on the secretary's big Douglas C-54 Skymaster, is now in flight to those areas. Wallie flew to England not long ago, spending a week in London.


From Sgt. "Boob" Kissling: "Well, Ros, I'm in Paris with a 4-F outfit, working as a clerk in the beautiful Astoria Hotel just off the Arc de Triomphe. If any of the boys get to Paris on a pass, I sure wish they'd look me up. I imagine "Bob" Blumer and Emil Weigert have plenty of points for discharges. I sure wish them lots of luck. I've only got 43 points in all myself-not even enough to get out of the Wacs. Boy! Ros, your tribute to President Roosevelt in the April Drizzle was really a swell piece of writing. I really think you're in the wrong business. I'm trying to get a seven-day furlough so I can visit my Grandmother Kissling in Switzerland. She is 87 years old and, of course, I have never seen her before. Well, the hot water is just coming so I guess I'll take a bath. Occasionally I take one! (Do you think Whitey Hill's gonna believe that, Boob?) Good luck to all the fellows and keep that press arollin' . . From Pfc. Don Pearson, with the 1st Marine Division on Okinawa: "I saw Schmitty once about 3 months ago. Same old Schmitty. Also bumped into Joe Leutenegger. Sure a pleasant surprise. We managed to get together several times. Both Schmitty and Joe are here on the island some place. (The Drizzler interrupts Don's letter to observe that Monticello will have quite an "Okinawa Alumni Association" after the war. Besides Don and Schmitty and Joe, other localites who have seen action there are Lt. Dick Schoonover, Joe Gmur, and Carl Babler.) Was on guard duty last night. It also rained-they have 6 to 10 inches a month here-and I not only discovered that my foxhole leaked, but also some shells that were not ours! As if this wasn't enough, my bed partner made it almost impossible for me to sleep by going through about four fits every hour so I finally moved out on him at 4:30 this morning. There's a limit to everything. Keep that ol' Drizzle drizzling this way, Ros, and thanks a million!" . . From T/5 Morgan Phillips, Hq. Co., 603 Tank Destroyer Bn., who has completely recovered from a shrapnel wound in the back suffered in action in Germany during the closing weeks of the war: "Was out on a sight-seeing drive the other day and landed at the infamous Buchenwald concentration and torture camp where the Germans committed some of their foulest crimes against civilization. It sure must have been an awful place because it still stunk terribly. I saw the crematory furnaces and the ghastly hooks where the Germans hung their dying victims until they were dead and ready to be crammed into the crematories. Also visited the hospital ward where they gave poison shots to hundreds of poor souls." . . From Lt. Dick Schoonover on Okinawa: "Just got back from Gen. Buckner's funeral. It was very impressive. I was in the front row of the junior officers with a "Frank Buck" tropical helmet on-in case you see a newsreel of it. The day before yesterday I went into Naha, the capital city of the island, and dug out a nice collection of China and lacquer to send home. (Drizzle readers will recall that "Schmitty" was a member of the first Marine patrol to enter Naha shortly after artillery fire and bombings had reduced it to rubble earlier in the campaign.) Naha looks as though a giant bull dozer had rolled over it-hardly a building standing. Still plenty of dead Japs lying around." In an earlier letter, Dick had described weather conditions on Okinawa as follows: "It has been raining for five days steady now. The tops of the hills are a thick sea of gumbo mud-you can't see the bottoms. Luckily, we dug in the side of a big hill, halfway up, and although our sandbag walls are four or more feet thick, they are damp all the way through and the packing-box floor is covered with the same old thick mud. At that we are better off than 90% of the rest of the fellows as a lot of them had put up tents, big enough for 8 men, in valleys and gulleys to have more protection from flying steel and now you can't even see the tent pole tops."


Capt. Harold (Doc) Youngreen, veteran of nearly three years' service in the Pacific, has arrived in the states after a two-day flight from Manila. He is now in Florida and expects to reach Monticello soon. . . Add uncertainties of army life: Sgt. W. James Murphy wrote the Drizzler a few lines from Camp Crowder, Mo., stating that although he had completed his "refresher" course preparatory to shipment overseas, it now looked as though he wouldn't be sent abroad after all. Just a few days later, I received another letter from the sergeant, written aboard a United Airlines Mainliner far above Salt Lake City and stating he was headed for Camp Beale, Calif., and eventual duty in the Pacific. . . Pfc. Johnny Frehner, who was sent to Texas for hospitalization shortly after reaching the United States from Europe, is home on furlough until July 22. He expects to be placed on limited service. . Wearing six battle stars, "Bud" Wirth, who spent 15 months aboard a naval transport and who participated in such operations as Saipan, Leyte, Lingayen Gulf, and Iwo Jima, is nearing the end of his 30-day leave at home. He arrived here June 21 and departs July 13 for San Francisco for reassignment. His wife, the former Rachael Judd, plans to accompany him.


In those words, big, broad shouldered Pfc. Eddie Loeffel, the smiling, 205-pound Marine from Monticello, describes his reactions on that unforgettable first night of the battle for Saipan in the Pacific.

Losses in Eddie's platoon had been heavy during that opening day of grueling fighting. After the Marines had scored a sizeable advance, the Japs struck back at them with a severe counter-attack. As dusk was settling over the island, only 18 men remained in Eddie's platoon of some 40 Marines, the others having been either killed or wounded. By this time the Japs had withdrawn temporarily. Now the Marines began to dig in for the night. Eddie, who is a Browning Automatic Rifleman, and his assistant, were in a foxhole together serving as added protection for three other Marines manning a machine gun in another foxhole just a few feet away. As an added precaution against the possibility of renewed enemy fire during the night, the five Marines had dragged a big log in front of their foxholes.

Soon darkness settled over the island. In a short while, enemy grenades began to burst about the area, indicating that the Japs had left their temporary hideouts and had crept back close to the Yank lines. The Marines began tossing grenades now, too. They held their rifle fire, however, because the spurt of flame which accompanies each discharge is certain to betray positions. It is impossible to tell just where grenades are hurled from because they explode in every direction, providing no such tell-tale clue.

Late that night, Eddie's attention was attracted by the dim outline of a soldier coming down the road barely 20 yards away. At first he thought it might be a Marine. Just then, however, the "mystery man" veered off the road and headed directly for Eddie's "dug-out." Here he began to crouch as he stole toward the foxhole, and for the first time, it became evident he was armed with a rifle because the bayonet could be seen gleaming in the dim moonlight.

Eddie was now convinced it was a Jap, but he hesitated to fire for fear of divulging their position to the enemy. By this time, however, the intruder was only a few yards away.

"Halt!" cried Eddie. There was no response-no password.

In a flash, Eddie beat the Jap to the trigger. His Browning chattered its message of death and the Nip lunged forward, lifeless, his right arm dangling into the Monticello Marine's foxhole.

"Scared is no name for it, boy!" chuckled Eddie in relating this thrilling experience to the Drizzler. "No kidding. We were shaking like leaves on a tree."

Now, of course-as Eddie had feared-the location of the foxhole had been revealed to the enemy. Soon a Jap machine gun, which had been set up across the road hardly 50 yards away since darkness had closed in over the island, began to open fire. For fully half an hour, Eddie, with his Browning Automatic, and the Marine machine-gunners in the adjacent foxhole, dueled with the Japs. Finally the enemy fire died down.

Daylight arrived a few hours later.

The big log, which Eddie and his buddies had dragged along the outer edge of their foxholes, was peppered with bullet holes. Unquestionably it was all that had saved their lives.

Cautiously, Eddie and the other Marines approached the enemy machine gun nest. There, strewn about the machine gun, were four dead Japs.

For this action, the local Marine and his four buddies received a letter of commendation "for bravery and coolness under fire."

"We sure got a big laugh when we read about being brave and cool under fire," grinned Eddie with that broad, infectious grin of his, "Especially when we remembered how darned scared all of us were."

Later in the Saipan campaign, on July 4, 1944, Eddie was wounded in the back at the left shoulder. He was laying on his stomach on a hillside, firing at some Japs screened by brush on the crest, when an enemy bullet tore a hole two inches deep, two inches wide, and five inches long in his shoulder. Miraculously, it did not penetrate farther into his body, but ricocheted off the shoulder bone. He was also wounded on D-Day at bloody Iwo Jima when a piece of shrapnel penetrated his right hip and came out in the middle of the leg. He was later awarded the Purple Heart and Oak Leaf Cluster for these wounds.

Eddie, who has three battle stars-for the Rio Namur, Saipan, and Iwo Jima campaigns-is now at Camp Perry, Va., where he is awaiting reassignment following a month's furlough at home. He reported there July 1st. If the usual procedure is followed, there is a good possibility that Eddie will be assigned to duty somewhere in the states for a period of six months before he is considered for further service in the Pacific.


Sgt. Carl J. Dick, registrar with the 348th Station Hospital, is now at Verdun, France, staying in permanent barracks there. . . S/Sgt. "Debbie" Moritz, member of the 30th Division, has been awarded the bronze star medal, but no details are known. Brig. Gen. James E. Lewis made the presentation at Possneck, Germany. In recent weeks, "Debbie" has been residing in Koeneg's Castle, about 120 miles south of Berlin, a picturesque, centuries-old, but modernly equipped structure which had been utilized by the Nazis for military headquarters. . . Capt. Leon Babler, former navigator on a Flying Fortress, who recently arrived in the states after 21 months in England, was circulating among his Monticello friends Friday afternoon. He is on a 30-day leave which he is spending with his mother, Mrs. Florence Babler, and other relatives in Madison. Leon flew from England to Bradley Field, Conn., in 22 hours' actual flying time. From there he went to Fort Snelling, Minn. In recent months, Leon has held an administrative position with the 8th Air Force in England, an assignment he received after completing 27 missions over Europe. At the end of his leave, he will report to Santa Ana, Calif., where he received his early training as an air cadet. His prospects of receiving duty in the states are considered promising. The captain's younger brother, Carl, saw action in the closing "chapters" of the Okinawa campaign after having recovered from a leg wound suffered earlier in the same battle. . . A nice letter from Cpl. Joe Gmur on Okinawa. That is, it was a nice letter until the censor got through with it. Joe was aboard ship 49 days enroute to Okinawa. Even when stops were made at islands along the way, they were required to remain aboard. Incidentally, Joe and Mrs. Gmur recently became the parents of a husky baby boy, Roger Joseph, weight 7 pounds 6 ounces. Congratulations! Incidentally, if Lt. Dick Schoonover ever complains again about the hair cuts that sergeant of his gives him, he'd better look up the former Monticello tonsorialist. Since the May Drizzle, I have learned that Joe is following his old trade out on Okinawa, operating what is known among the Marines of his outfit as "Joe's Clip Joint." . . Speaking of tonsorialists, Tommy Brusveen, one of Joe's professional colleagues before the war, has arrived in Monticello, but I haven't seen him yet. Tommy has seen many months of service in Europe. . . "Herb" Burgy, population geographer in the Division of Geography and Cartography in the Department of State at Washington for the past year, leaves in the near future for England to become a civilian educational specialist in the first of two Army University Centers scheduled to open late this month in Shrivenham, England. He will teach classes in geography. The second university center will be opened in France later and "Herb" expects to teach there, too. He will be gone about a year. . . The Drizzler has just learned that Dick Schoonover and "Schmitty" Schmidt, that seasoned veteran of Pacific warfare, got together on Okinawa for a visit recently. "Schmitty" gave Dick a Jap flag he had captured and the latter has sent it to his father, "Pat" Schoonover, for a souvenir.


To these Drizzle donators: M. E. Lynns; Blumer Brewing Co., Solomon Coal & Iron Co., Monroe; J. Burgy, J. Minnigs, Fred Birchers, Ernie Roberts, Emil Escher, L. W. Lemons, W. Stauffacher, Art Staedtlers, Clarence Ittens, M. R. Zimmermans, Edna Babler, Emil Elmers, Sam Rhyners, Fred Werner Blums, Jake Kopps, A. Kistlers, J. Kublys, Tom Runkles, Jake Thompson, Stillman Huntlys, E. Broge, R. W. Woelffers, Ed Buehtls, T. Voegelis; M. H. Stauffachers, Robert Ryan, Monroe; H. L. Karlens, J. Van Houtens, E. Schwerins, Robert Zentners, Anna Stauffacher, Bob Fellers, C. Yaussis, Albert Zimmermans, Nic Freitag, Ralph Freitags, Dr. Horne, Emily Jordan, C. M. Stauffers, Werner Hauris, Sam Pierce, Wm. Benkerts, F. Strahms, M. Schmids, Rose Cotherman, Herman Blums, H. V. Bablers, Wm. Teuscher, F. A. Karlens, A. H. Wrights, Elfa Voegeli, Albert Crouchs, Jim Dooleys, Fred A. Blums, C. Paulsons, Albert Witts, Frank Mellenbergers; Karl Holsingers, New Glarus; John G. Blums, H. C. Heftys, E. Sarbackers, Bernice Babler, Walter Hoesly; Bill Grenzows, Elkhorn; Marv Freitags, Wm. Weiers, Walter Hauris, Arnold Meier, W. Zimmernans, Helen Karlen Dugdale, Sheridan, Ind,; Mrs. J. Zeller, Mrs. H. J. Klassy, Mrs. Jake Wild, Jr., P. J. Babler, F. C. Karlen.


Lloyd Deppeler, now a second lieutenant, is believed to be on his way home from Europe. . . Ditto Marine Cpl. Joe Leutenegger from the Pacific. . . Plt/Sgt. "Cec" Wirth, recently stationed with the Marines at Quantico following his transfer from Camp Lejeune, expects to shove off any day for the Pacific where he has previously seen approximately 30 months of service. His parents, "Chief of Police" and Mrs. H. J. Wirth have left for Virginia to visit him. "Cec's" brother, Karl, has passed all preliminaries preparatory to acceptance in the Marines. . . Pfc. Hilmer Gordon's now at Percy Jones Hosp., Battle Creek. I am holding an interesting story about Hilmer, along with several others, until next issue due to lack of space. JUST IN-an interesting letter from Dick Schoonover, describing his visit with Schmitty and of meeting his cousin, Carl Babler, on Okinawa; also one from S/Sgt Erv Spring, now a part-time interpreter at Remagen, Germany. More next month. "Til then, loads of luck.

The Monticello Drizzle, created for the Monticello Area Historical Society
by Roger and Madeleine Dooley.
A softcover copy can be purchased by contacting
Top | Table of Contents | Previous | Next | Home