Vol. 2 - No. 11-----Aug. 20, 1945-----Editor: Roz Richards
Subscription Price:----- A Letter A Drizzle



Proud, haughty Japan, whose swaggering rulers dreamed grandiose dreams of world conquest and domination, surrendered unconditionally to the Allies Tuesday, August 14. President Harry S. Truman announced the momentous news to a nation tense with anxiety at 6 p.m. through Washington press and radio correspondents.

Battered and groggy from terrific American naval and air blows, along with mounting participation of British naval and air units, Japan was pounded to her knees when the Yanks wiped out two of her cities with but two of the deadly new atomic bombs and Russia joined the battle against the common foe. Thus did Japan join Italy and Germany in ignominious defeat.

As we rejoice in this great Allied victory over the forces of evil, let us pause in solemn reverence to the memory of S/Sgt. Melvin Marty, Pvt. Paul Derendinger, and Lt. "Bob" Amans, who laid down their lives to help lay down the foundations of lasting peace.

And may all of us have the intelligence and the courage to strive as tenaciously and as valiantly for the preservation of the peace as these gallant soldiers-and hundreds of thousands like them-fought to win it.


In that one, single word, Lt. Wallie Barlow, co-pilot of Secretary of the Navy Forrestal's giant Douglas C-54 Skymaster airliner, describes what now remains of the once proud and arrogant capital city of Germany. Wallie recently returned to Washington from a two weeks' flight to Europe where he visited many leading cities on the continent, among them Berlin and Potsdam where the Secretary of the Navy sat in on the historic "Big Three" conference which decided the future fate of Germany.

Now, folks, let's nestle back into our armchairs and let the lieutenant relate some of the high lights of this extremely interesting trip in his own words. All right, Wallie, the Drizzle 'mike' is yours:

"We really had quite a trip through Europe, with and without the Secretary. After seeing the complete and utter devastation in Germany done by bombings and artillery fire, this new atomic bomb seems like some terrible, inhuman thing. You cannot imagine what the German cities look like.

"Our first city was Paris, beautiful, stately, and terribly expensive. We were there only one day and spent it sight-seeing. I think it is the prettiest city on the continent, although I haven't seen Brussels which everyone says is lovely.

"Nothing is the word for a short description of Berlin. There is nothing left of it, even well into the suburbs. Standing walls and chimneys are about all you can find. I didn't see one shop operating in all Berlin. There are a couple of cafes running, but that's all. We had quite a tour there and went through the Chancellery and also the bomb cellar where Hitler's body was supposed to have been discovered. While there, I found a fork with "Haushalt des Fuehrers" stamped on it. It was really cheap. If Hitler used that type of silver, I'm disappointed in him. Also picked up a German medal.

"We also made a visit to "Blackmarket Square," a really amazing place. Watches sell for $400 to $1,000 to the Russians, many of whom had just been paid for the first time in four years. A "Mickey Mouse" watch sells for $450 to $500. The Russians can get control of a farm in Russia for a watch, and since they aren't allowed to take money back home with them, they convert it into personal property. The Germans pay $15 a pack for American cigarettes which they trade for food from the farmers. Actually, money has no buying value because there is nothing to buy. All in all, it was something to see. One American private is said to have sent home $27,000 the first week he was in Berlin. That was before the American army cracked down.

"We saw Bremen, Bremerhaven, Flensburg, Schleswig, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Salzburg, and Berchtesgarden. Everywhere it was the same -ruin. In Frankfurt, headquarters for SHAEF, the city was almost completely destroyed except for the Farbin building which SHAEF used. It wasn't damaged at all and it really is a huge, beautiful new building. While in Schleswig, I had a beautiful little revolver given to me by an RAF officer. It's a Gestapo issue and corresponds to our .25 calibre.

"We were in London several days on our way back, but we spent them pretty much in resting up."


From S/Sgt. "Erv" Spring, the former super-salesman of Bill Blum's Merchandise Mart, writing from Remagen, Germany, where he is with the Anti-Tank Co., 159th Infantry:

"We're living in a castle along the Rhine. It's really a pretty nice place. It even has a swimming pool right out in front and it's larger than the one back in Monticello. So far, however, the water has been pretty chilly so we haven't had much use out of it.

"I've done a lot of traveling the past couple of months. Although I'm supposed to be in supply, I am the only one in my company that can speak German, I have to do all the interpreting. I have just returned from two days up in northern Germany. We saw plenty of ruined cities on that trip. Munster and Essen are in complete ruins. We traveled on some of "Adolph's" famous autobahns. They really must have been great highways, but they need plenty of repairs before they're fit for heavy traffic again.

"What's this I've been hearing about "Doc" (Beach-head) Youngreen? Is he really going to make his home out in the Philippines? Could it be that he's afraid to face all the boys he's been throwing slams at? (Did you know, Erv, that "Doc" has been here on a 45-day leave? Your questions make me wonder if "Doc" didn't fly to the states to get here ahead of some of the victims of his literary bombs-like yourself-so he could sort of get the lay of the land and determine if it's safe for him to relocate here permanently.) "Say, Doc," continues Erv, "maybe you could uncover a Hollywood find out there in the Philippines for some of my post-war movie productions. I've got Hoppe (Wings) Babler searching the east coast for me, but no word from him yet. I wonder what he thinks I'm paying him for?

"Keep the old Drizzle rolling. It's a great little paper."


S/Sgt. "Rog" Foster, aerial gunner and veteran of 35 missions over Europe, who has been stationed at the army air base at Fort Meyers (Fla.) since his return from abroad some months ago, recently received orders transferring him to Fort Lewis, Wash., and he should be there by this time. "Rog" was recently on a furlough, most of which he spent in Colorado. What's the big attraction out there, "Rog?" The Rocky Mountains, or some dimpled damsel? . . . Cpl. P. F. Blumer, still with an army air force unit at Bangalore, India, has been promoted to technician fourth class. The monsoon rains were still letting loose at the time P. F. wrote his letter. "It rains so hard," he writes, "That one would almost think the bottom had dropped out of the clouds." . . . "I have just finished reading The Drizzle the second time and probably will read it again," declares Sgt. W. James Murphy, who now apparently has recovered from an infection of his feet which had hospitalized him for some time at Camp Beale, Calif. W. James, you will recall, was flown along with other personnel from Camp Crowder, (Mo.) to Camp Beale several weeks ago with indications then that he might continue on to the Pacific war area. Now, however, it has developed that the army was short of personnel at Camp Beale and he seems destined to remain there. "This part of the country," says the former culinary wizard of J. Pierpont Lobbs' Midway Lunch Palace, "was the scene of the great gold rush in '49. The main road going through Camp Beale is the one on which the miners hauled gold from Marysville to Grass Valley." W. James, who is an army baker, says they now have a new doughnut machine which turns out 200 dozen doughnuts an hour. There oughta be a lotta dunks in all those doughnuts! By the way, W. James, how's "Myrtle, the Miss from Minnesota?" . . . Pfc. Eddie Loeffel, the big marine with the big smile, is doing guard duty at the U. S. Naval Training and Distribution Center at Camp Peary, Williamsburg, Va. "It's an easy life," writes Eddie, "Four hours of walking around and then eight hours off, but I'm still not very keen about it." I understand the local Marine is guarding German prisoners of war. . . After T/5 Harry Schuerch was outfitted with his artificial right limb below the knee at McCloskey Gen. Hosp., Temple, Tex., July 20, he attended a walking school for 14 days, not only learning how to walk with it, but also how to dance, swim, and play golf among other activities. Harry is on a two weeks' furlough right in Temple now, and if he continues to get along as nicely as he has to date, he may be home by the end of this month with his army discharge. . . After a furlough with his wife at Rapid City (S. D.) and with his parents here, Sgt. "Al" Baehler has gone back to Harmon Gen. Hosp., Longview, Texas, where he expects to receive his dismissal soon. . . How's this for getting around, folks? It wasn't so many weeks ago that I heard from Pfc. Armin Loeffel and he was then stationed in Germany. A letter just came in from Armin and where do you suppose he is now? In the Philippines! And he says "I am having a time of my life." That really was a pretty long boat ride, wasn't it, Armin?


Outstanding performance of duty and improvision of many ingenious supplements to standard radio equipment are among the achievements cited in the award of the Bronze Star Medal to S/Sgt. Delbert J. (Debbie) Moritz when he was a member of the 230th Field Artillery Battalion of the 30th Division, also known as the "Old Hickory" Division. Mention of the award was made in the July Drizzle, but pertinent details were not available at that time.

The official citation, signed by Maj. Gen. L. S. Hobbs, commanding general of the 30th Division, was presented to "Debbie" by Brig. Gen. James E. Lewis in ceremonies at Fossneck, Germany. It reads, as follows:

"Staff Sergeant Delbert J. Moritz, 230th Field Artillery Battalion, United States Army, is awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious achievement and service from 10 June 1944 to 30 April 1945 in France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany. Sergeant Moritz distinguished himself by outstanding performance of duty as a chief of the radio section. Confronted with shortages of material and difficult working conditions in making intricate adjustments and repairs on the radios of the battalion, Sergeant Moritz coordinated the work of his section so efficiently that the battalion at all times was provided with excellent communications. He improvised many ingenious supplements to standard equipment, thereby facilitating the immediate repair of all faulty equipment. Sergeant Moritz's technical ability and devotion to duty have earned him the confidence and admiration of his associates. Entered military service from Wisconsin."

"Debbie" has been transferred to the 355th Field Artillery Battalion of the 76th Division and expects to be shifted soon to still another division. The personnel of this division will be made up entirely of veterans with 85 or more points of service to their credit.

The Monticello staff sergeant recently spent a few days in Paris, going there from Metz. He is now in Germany.


How about hopping into a bomber at Rapid City (S.D.) at 9 in the morning for a leisurely "sky jaunt" to Stuttgart (Ark.), land there at 2 and have dinner, then take off again at 3 for a short stop at Tulsa, (Okla.) before heading back toward Rapid City and arriving there at 9:30 p.m. S/Sgt. Wilbert Marty, the ol' tail gunner, and some of his buddies at Rapid City army air base were considerably behind in flying time for the month so that's just what they did the other day. The flight must have been somewhat uneventful, however, because the ol' tail gunner, veteran of 27 bombing missions over Europe during the peak of the air war against Germany, slept in the tail of the plane most of the way. Flying over the Ozarks, the crew encountered some light thunderstorms. Incidentally, if any of you fellows ever get to Rapid City, better take things a little easy or else you're liable to be ushered before the staff sergeant to explain your conduct. Wilbert, you see, is serving temporarily as a military policeman and has a desk job right in Rapid City. . . Pfc. Eddie Zweifel, winner of the Bronze Star for his feat in capturing nine Nazi soldiers single-handed some weeks before the end of the war against Germany, went through the conflict without injury or illness only to be wounded in Russian-held German territory June 29. Eddie speaks of "having an accident" and also states that the bullet passed clear through him. Other than this, no details are known. Prior to June 29, the local soldier was stationed at Adorph, Germany, right on the Czechoslovakian border, and it is believed that he was somewhere in this area at the time of his misfortune. On July 26, Eddie arrived by plane at an American hospital in France where he is to be confined for an indefinite period. Latest word describes his condition as good. . . Capt. Paul E. Voegeli, who recently arrived in the states from the British Isles via transport plane after having been stationed there since December of '42, is now in Monticello on leave. Much of Paul's service abroad was as an intelligence and security officer with the European Wing of the Air Transport Command. . . Following his successful completion of a six-weeks' course in advanced navigation at Maxwell Field, Montgomery, Ala., former S/Sgt Carl Stauffer has been commissioned a second lieutenant and is now on the staff of instructors at the B-29 School, Hondo (Texas) Army Air Base. Before assuming his new duties, Carl spent a few days at home on leave. . . 2nd Lt. Lloyd Deppeler, who participated in some of the major battles of the European war with the 11th Infantry of the 5th Division, is home on leave. Lloyd saw over three years of service overseas, approximately 18 months of which were spent in Iceland. . . Add funny sights: If you could drop in at "Joe's Clip Joint" out on far-away Okinawa island right after one of those heavy deluges of rain they're accustomed to having out there, you'd see Cpl. Joe Gmur clipping hair and shaving whiskers while attired in rubber boots. The mud is so thick and gummy that the local professor of the tonsorial art finds rubber boots a necessity.


Recent initiates into the "Grand Old Order of Distinguished Diaper-Changers" include Sgt. "Joe" Legler and Lt. Wallie Barlow. The sergeant and Mrs. Legler, the former Lily Tidswell on Manchester, England, became the parents of a son, David Robert, in Manchester July 1. The Legler heir is a husky chap, weighing 8 pounds and 9 ounces, and my advice to "Joe" is that he start eating plenty of vitamins before the son starts wielding his authority and backs it up with physical force. Wallie also became the father of a son-Wallace P. Barlow, Jr., weight 6 pounds and 3 ounces-while he was on his recent flight to Europe and it was not until he was able to cable to the states from London Aug. 3 that he learned he had become a father Sunday, July 29. Mrs. Barlow is the former Elaine Zweifel of New Glarus. Wallie has served notice that the young man is never to be called "Wallie" or "Junior," but just plain "Buz," a sobriquet which "Dad" extracted from Barlow Und Zweifel. . . It was related in the July Drizzle that Plt. Sgt. "Cec" Wirth, the former favorite of the dusky damsels of the Southwest Pacific, was about to shove off from Quantico (Va.) on his return to the Pacific. "As a matter of fact," states Cec, "My name was on the top of the list, with 13 months of stateside duty on my debit side. However, last week, I was called up to see the Colonel and immediately thereafter was assigned as an instructor (again) in the new artillery detachment of the Royal Netherlands Marines." Since then Cec has been learning to speak Dutch. Such Dutch as you speak, I'll bet no one has ever heard spoken before, eh Cec? . . Pfc. "Vince" Gerry, then at Nancy, France, with 92 points to his credit, hopes to return to the states soon. He's with an artillery unit of a parachute battalion. "I had some close calls, all right," reminisces Vince. "I'll never forget the pounding the Nazis gave us while we were defending Hill 1205 in Italy. It was cold and icey and they poured shells in on us for seven straight hours. I really thought my number was up that time, but God was with me and I came through okay." . . Twenty-seven months in Iran, where the temperature never drops below 30 and some times hits a dizzy 186, makes Cpl. "Windy" Miller seem almost like a veteran of that distant land. "Windy" is recovering from a near-rupture sustained when he and one of his buddies, driving a jeep, had a flat tire out in the desert and the corporal performed in the role of an automobile jack when they discovered they didn't have one along. Says Windy: "Of course, my buddy was a little guy so I had to lift up one corner of the jeep while he piled stones under the axle. In the middle of a 175-mile stretch across the desert, you are not going to try to find a filling station. If you did, you might just as well keep on going because these Arab gangs would steal everything before you could get back. They seem to be lurking everywhere. I didn't rupture myself, but the hospital doctor says it's almost as bad as one. . . Karl Wirth is with the Marines at Parris Island, S.C. . . "I took part in both the Iwo Jima and Okinawa campaigns," writes Lt. (jg) "Ed" Klassy from aboard the U.S.S. Williamson, Somewhere in the Pacific. "Gosh, you should have seen how that little Iwo was worked over before the boys landed. Such fireworks! That Okinawa job certainly was a tough one for the navy in all ways-quite a show on the water and land both-plenty of thrills! We had a rather interesting fad spring up here aboard ship, mainly among the deck force where most of the rough and ready boys will be found-ready for anything! The punching of ears and wearing of ear rings isn't an uncommon sight to see in groups that have been at sea for long periods and our boys got the idea in earnest. Navy regulations say nix to such stuff and the sick bay fellows wouldn't punch their ears. Nevertheless, about ten men appeared one morning with a variety of ear rings which they must have picked up some time ago. They had done their own punching, and all in all, were the topic of the day for a while. The skipper finally outlawed the whole thing, however." . . Pfc. "Hal" Schultz set some sort of a record for speed when he arrived back in the states July 20, less than four months after he had landed at Le Havre, France, from which point he fought through Germany and into Austria with the 44th Division. "Hal," an infantryman and now home on a 34-day furlough, also visited Italy and Switzerland while abroad. . . Capt. Norman Steussy, who reported at Miami Beach, July 22 for reassignment after 28 months in the Mediterranean war theatre, is now commanding officer of three Miami Beach hotels operated by the army. Nice going, Norman! . . When President Harry S. Truman arrived at the airport in Brussels, Belgium, July 15, enroute to the historic Potsdam conference, S/Sgt. Karl Freitag was one of 400 crack infantrymen of the 35th Division-the President's old outfit of World War I-serving as the chief executive's guard of honor. . . The week of Aug. 8-15 will undoubtedly remain fresh in Sgt. "Boob" Kissling's memory for a long time because it was then that he was in Switzerland to visit his grandmother, Mrs. Julia Kissling, aged 87, near Basel, and other relatives he had never seen before. "Boob" has been moved from Paris to nearby Versailles. . . Sgt. Carl Dick, 348th Station Hospital, is now at Bremerhaven, Germany, having been transferred there with his unit from Verdun.


Capt. Harold (Doc) Youngreen, the well known literary bombardier of the Far Pacific, who has been enjoying a leave in the states after 34 months in the Pacific war theatre, has been awarded the Bronze Star for his efficiency in directing the evacuation of sick and wounded soldiers from danger areas while under fire.

The citation reads:

"Award of the Bronze Star Medal to Capt. Harold C. Youngreen, Commander Co. B, 115th Medical Corps, United States Army. During period from Jan. 9, 1945, to May 1, 1945, while on Luzon, Panay, and Negros, Philippine Islands, Capt. Youngreen's company efficiently and rapidly evacuated 1,500 patients. The excellent manner in which this mission was performed was due to Capt. Youngreen. At many times, while working in close support of this regimental combat team, Youngreen was exposed to hostile fire. While on Negros, Philippine Islands, Capt. Youngreen, in addition to supporting the 185th Regiment team, was given the mission of evacuating the 503rd Regiment combat team. This mission was completed with efficiency. The outstanding services of this officer and his disregard for his own welfare were a constant source of inspiration to all of his command."
Besides the Bronze Star, Capt. Youngreen also wears the Philippines liberation ribbon with one star, the Asiatic-Pacific campaign ribbon with three battle stars, and the American theatre ribbon.

"Doc," who arrived in San Francisco late in June after a two-day flight from Manila, went directly to Pensacola, Fla., where his wife has been residing. Accompanied by Mrs. Youngreen, he arrived in Monticello July 18. His leave now ended, "Doc" presently is at Fort McPherson, Atlanta, Ga., soon to leave for San Francisco on his return to the Philippines. There is a possibility, however, that the sudden ending of the war against Japan may alter his orders.


That distinguished "citizen" of Australia, Sgt. Louie Wyss, also known as "Louie, the Lonely Lover," isn't lonely any more. Before the end of the year, Miss Joan Kingston, whose home is in Brisbane where her parents have a hotel, will become Mrs. Wyss. No foolin', fellows. The event is planned for December, but may take place sooner if Louie returns to the states before then. . . "Slim" Freitag, who is one of America's veteran pilots with more than 5,000 hours in the air to his credit--belonging to that select circle of veteran "eagles" which includes such famous fliers as Jimmy Doolittle and Roscoe Turner-drifted down out of the clouds the other afternoon and landed his plane in a field not far from his brother-in-law's (E. W. Marty) farm where Mrs. Freitag and daughters, Virginia and Ellen Faye, have been spending a few weeks. Flying here from La Crosse, "Slim" landed at 5:30 p.m., then took off for Chicago at 7, and was due to fly to Detroit the next morning. "Slim" is midwest sales director for Stinson Aircraft.


It was a Sunday evening on battle-scarred Okinawa. Lt. Dick Schoonover was watching an outdoor movie. I don't know if the picture was a wild and woolly western, a romantic film, or a mystery thriller, but anyway, Dick sat there, deeply engrossed in the unwinding drama and completely unmindful of anything else. (Aside to Dick: If you weren't "deeply engrossed" and "completely unmindful," you shoulda been, just to make this little yarn a little more interesting.)

Suddenly, the lieutenant's attention was caught by the blare of the loud speaker announcing: "Lt. Schoonover report to the projection box." "What's up now?" thought Dick to himself, as he arose and strolled to the rear. He didn't have to wonder long, however, because there, standing near the projection box and grinning from ear to ear, was Alvin (Schmitty) Schmidt, now a Marine corporal, veteran warrior of the Pacific and the peppery little chatterbox who used to perform behind the plate on M.H.S. baseball teams when Eddie Loeffel was in the pitcher's box during those unforgettable days when Lt. "Whitey" Hill was baffling himself , as well as the high school sports world, with his coaching wizardry.

"We sure had a great time shooting the bull," reports Dick. And this is why I assume that Dick and Schmitty must have really riddled the poor creature.

Incidentally, I have just received an airmail letter from Schmitty, telling of his delightful visit with Dick and also relating that he saw Carl Babler on Okinawa a few days later. He says that other than the fact that Dick is some heavier, he and Carl haven't changed hardly at all.

"There isn't much I can say about myself," declares the little corporal, "Except that I have had the hell scared out of me plenty of times. I've had all I want of it out here and I'm more than ready to settle down and be a peaceful little guy for the rest of my born days.

"Give all the boys my regards and be sure to keep the Drizzle coming because I sure do enjoy it.

"P.S.-I hope there's a few cases of good old Milwaukee beer left when I get back to Monticello.


And nothing illustrates it any better than an experience which Pfc. Tommy Brusveen, serving with 31st Chemical of the 12th Army, had while he was in Moers, Germany.

Tommy, who is an ardent amateur photographer-accompanied by one of his buddies-was taking some scenic snapshots when he noticed a man at work in a garden nearby. With him was a little girl, apparently his daughter. The non-fraternization rule was strictly enforced in Germany at the time, even with children. Tommy, who has a "passable" knowledge of the German language, couldn't resist the temptation to address a cheerful greeting to the little girl, whose name, it developed later, was Sigrid and she was three years old. This gave the father the opportunity he had been waiting for -the opportunity to ask an American soldier if, by some faint chance, he might know of any of his relatives back in the states.

As the conversation unraveled, the German identified himself as William Knupel, a master mechanic by trade, who has three sisters residing in southern Wisconsin-one at Platteville, another at Wiota married to Rev. Gunderson, and a third, Mrs. E. Strickler, at New Glarus.

"When he mentioned New Glarus, I almost had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming," explains Tommy. "He was overjoyed when he learned I knew Mrs. Strickler."

The local soldier's outfit was soon to be on the move, but Tommy managed to see the Knupel family a few times more before then. He took several snapshots of them and sent the pictures back to the states, bringing great happiness to Mrs. Strickler and her two sisters because they had not received any word from their relatives in Germany for several years.

Tommy, who participated in five battles on the European continent-Normandy, Northern France, the Ardennes, Ruhr, and Central Germany-is now at Camp Polk, La., after spending a 31-day furlough at home. He arrived in the states July 4th, the third anniversary of his induction into the service, his ship docking at Newport News, Va.


to these Drizzle donators: "Slim" Freitag, Villa Park, Ill.: Harry Haddinger, Blumer Brewing Co., Otilla Binschaedler, Monroe; J. Lobbs, A. E. Blum, Philadelphia; Dr. Horne, F. Escher, H. J. Elmer, C. M. Stauffer, H. M. Milbrandt, T. Voegeli, E. G. Voegeli, Mrs. J. Stauffer, Sr., Joe Voegeli, Sam Pierce, F. C. Karlen, Melvin Blumer, F. Deppeler, Dorothy Altman, Al Schwers, Mrs. T. Zurbuchen, Art Miller, J. Fahrney, J. Zurkirchen, Fred Werner Blum, Gene Updike, Mrs. J. Zeller, Warren Prisk, O. E. Bontly, Harry Klassy, E. Wenger, A. Kistler, Dr. Baebler, J. Meier, Mrs. Jake Zimmerman, H. Ritschard, M. Schmid, S. P. Klassy, Wm. Lemon, Monroe; W. E. Blum, Mrs. Art Thoman, R. Ammon, Jr., Libby Voegeli, Waldo Zimmerman, Norene Mitmoen, E. Robert, J. H. Disch, Flora Duerst, J. C. Marty, F. Strahm, Werner Hefty, L. Brauer, E. Sarbacker, Frieda Benkert, Mrs. A. Moritz, Herman Voegeli, Herman Blum, Anna Elmer


Pvt. Ray Schultz has been assigned to the medical corps at Ft. Lewis, Wash., and likes it a lot. . . Lt. Fritz Steinmann is back at his post as assistant personnel director at the Chicago Quartermaster depot after several weeks in the east, during which he completed a two weeks' course at the Civilian Personnel Officers' School, Baltimore, and also attended to official business at the Quartermaster General's office in Washington. . . Pfc. Orville Anderson, home recently on a 45-day furlough, is now back in McCaw Gen. Hosp., Walla Walla, Wash., where he will soon submit to a delicate nerve grafting operation, lasting from 6 to 8 hours, to relieve the paralytic condition which has afflicted his right arm ever since he was wounded by a German machine gun bullet near Paris late last August. . . Lt. Howie Steinmann reported back to the naval hospital at Memphis, Tenn., Aug. 16, after a 30-day leave at home. Howie shows no ill effects from the chest wound inflicted by a would-be Jap assassin during the Iwo campaign. The Marine Lieutenant was awarded the Purple Heart at ceremonies at the naval hospital, Corpus Christi, Texas, June 23. He was transferred from Corpus Christi to Memphis July 3, making the trip by air along with Mrs. Steinmann, who had been with him in Texas. Howie expects to be at Memphis for 30 to 60 days. . . "Walt" Zentner, USN, has returned to duty on the west coast after a 30-day leave. Where's that letter, Walt? . . Pvt. "Dunk" Knobel is here from Camp Lee (Va.) on his way to Camp Beale, Calif., where he is due to report Aug. 24. . . Pfc. Johnny Frehner, who was severely wounded in Germany March 24, was looking hale and hearty when he was home on furlough. He reported back to Brooke Gen. Hosp., Ft. Sam Houston, Texas, July 22, and expected to be placed on limited service. Incidentally, I have a number of interesting stories which must be held over due to lack of space, among them experiences of Johnny, Eddie Loeffel, Hilmer Gordon, and Lyle Sinnett. . . Miss Norma Freitag was employed for a number of months as a medical technician on the giant mystery war-peace project, near Hanford, Wash., which has now been revealed as one of the "cradles" of the atomic bomb. More recently, Norma has held a similar position in the DuPont plant at St. Paul. This's all! I'll be back again in September.

The Monticello Drizzle, created for the Monticello Area Historical Society
by Roger and Madeleine Dooley.
A softcover copy can be purchased by contacting
Top | Table of Contents | Previous | Next | Home